I'm Laura DesBrisay and I'm a DONA-trained Postpartum Doula and a Certified Breastfeeding Counselor. I have long had a love for all things birth and baby, and I'm thrilled to be able to support new mothers and families during the very special newborn months.
I started as a DONA-trained birth doula in 2009 and provided support through a wide range of birth scenarios. Among these was my sister’s first baby, and in the weeks following my niece’s arrival, I discovered a deep respect and passion for postpartum doula support and the vast and long-lasting benefits it brings for parents and their babies. I then completed postpartum doula training in 2015 and this has been my focus ever since.
I'm originally from New Brunswick in eastern Canada, and I've also lived in the Dominican Republic, Peru, and China. In my spare time I love seeing friends and family, experimenting in the kitchen, knitting, reading, and learning West African rhythms on the djembe, and I try to immerse myself in nature whenever possible.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- DONA-trained Postpartum Doula *
- Certified Breastfeeding Counselor *
- DONA-trained Birth Doula *
- CPR Certified by American Heart Association *
- BS in Health Education, Dalhousie University, Canada, 2001
DOULA CONTINUING EDUCATION
- Babywearing for Perinatal Professionals, with Marta Ginter *
- Understanding Your Newborn in the 4th Trimester, with Ellynne Skove
- Lactation Case Studies, with Tanya Wills, Manhattan Birth
- Infant Structure and Function, with Jaye Simpson
- The Mother-Baby Workshop, with Dr. Pamela Douglas
- Lactation Basics for Doulas, with Tanya Wills, Manhattan Birth *
- Holistic Newborn Care, with Erica St. Lawrence, Manhattan Birth
- Walking With Whitney - Baby Wellness and Mindful Parenting, with Whitney Burke
- Breastfeeding for Doulas, with LaShanda Dandrich
- Sleep 101 - New Parents Journey, with Manon Chevallerau
* Click stars to view certificates